Always Winter and Rarely Christmas

 I have a petition. Since the date of observed Christmas is arbitrary and almost certainly not the season of the actual nativity, why not change the date of Christmas to, say, Feb 1st? We could have a full two months of Christmas season without worrying about "bumping up" against Thanksgiving. And lest you worry that January holidays would get the short shrift, remember that New Years is already in the middle of the 12 Days of Christmas and it does alright for itself. We could have lights up a little longer in these long, dark nights, and more time to have parties with family and friends. You'd have plenty of time for Christmas shopping and Christmas cards. And when Christmas is over, you can get out the Valentine's decorations. 

While I'm waiting for YouGov to take off on this idea, I've been reading and thinking a lot about what to do with the almost three months of winter after Christmas is over. I wouldn't say I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, but I definitely find it a bummer that picnics and stream dips are so far away. A lot of grey days and not a lot of celebration. Others have written convincingly of some tried-and-true strategies, including from our Nordic friends. For example

  • Dress the season. You can't just wear a t-shirt under your coat and be cozy. This year I finally bought some proper snow boots--puffy, waterproof, with a sturdy sole. They have been my delight. I've also been more liberal with my long underwear: if I know I'm going to be outside for any significant length of time, I suit up before I go out. Snowpants if you're going to be in the snow, layers, a good coat and gloves. I even bought a pair of those micro-spikes for icy days. Game. Changer. All this "adequate clothing" allows you to not dread leaving the house.
  • Get out. Now that you've got the gear, time to get out. I've been on a couple of hikes this month and it always surprises me how lovely it is. I confess I think of hiking as a summer activity, but with the right clothes, it's fantastic in winter, too. Usually, those snow boots do me and I don't even need spikes or snowshoes. I appreciate the winter more when it's the fluffy flakes on a mountain fir than when it is slush in the city.
  • Find a winter sport.  I am glad I'm getting into winter hiking, because I'm getting to the age when I'm more cautious about the conditions under which I go skiing. But skiing, downhill or Nordic, snowshoeing or even ice skating in an arena can make you more excited about winter. Even swimming at the pool and Zumba feel like winter activities because they are inside and not dependent on natural light. You will feel better if you get off the couch and out of the house and get your body moving.
  • Get cozy. If you're getting out, you appreciate more when you come in. Create winter traditions indoors, too, like reading more by the fireside with a hot cup of tea. Trade out your warm-weather sheets for fuzzier stuff. Take up a cozy hobby like knitting or book binding. Me, I made a winter goal to learn how to bake bread and it's been nice to heat up my kitchen with the oven and try my hand at something technical like brioche or sourdough.
  • Look to a warmer future. Some people recommend a countdown to spring, but I don't know what good that does me when it can snow in, like, May at times. But planning a trip somewhere warm, or even just starting to schedule summer adventures, can take up there in our minds. Also, you get the bonus that you can get the planning and scheduling done early. You know how some people start planning Christmas shopping in September? Why not plan your BBQ season in January?

These are great ideas and I'm grateful for them. But then I thought to myself, why not just extend Christmas a little anyway?

Put down your pitchforks, I'm not talking about leaving the Christmas tree up until it's a crispy fire hazard or not taking down your inflatable Santa in the front yard. There are lots of things that I feel like I never get to fit in during the Christmas season because I'm so busy, but...and I know this is radical...they aren't exclusively Christmas activities

  • Bake treats. Everyone knows that heart-shaped sugar cookies can make a comeback in February, but if you haven't sworn off sugar, you can make your special treats after Christmas, too. I was feeling a little (very little) disappointed I hadn't made gingerbread this season, but December doesn't have the monopoly on gingerbread. Just ask the little old lady, the little old man, the cow, the dog, and the fox.


  • Write cards to far-flung friends and family. I get it--Christmas cards are a thing. People are expecting it. They have garlands and trees set up to showcase your family picture from Shutterfly or something. But how often do you actually get to hand-write more than three words to the people you care about? Not often, that's how often! So maybe in January, after the update newsletter or glossy picture, just write a card or a letter asking how someone really is and being a little vulnerable with your own life? What could be more hygge than a handwritten letter to a dear friend? But it doesn't have to be a real card--you can call or drop a text to someone you'd love to catch up with and they will probably not be so busy. Speaking of...
  • Throw a party. My poor niece has a birthday in December, and while I've always contemplated the present scenario, it's the party logistics that annoy her the most. Everyone always has "Grandpa's Cookie Party" or the ward party, or the work party or something every. single. weekend. It's great to have festive celebrations, but it's easy to go into social withdrawal by mid-January. It doesn't have to be a big party, or expensive: maybe you could plan a soup potluck or a "book share" where everyone brings their favorite book they read recently. It doesn't even need to happen right away, but planning and inviting people to a party a few weeks out can give them something to look forward to.
  • Listen to seasonal music. "Frosty the Snowman," "Walking in a Winter Wonderland," even "Jingle Bells" are not actually Christmas music--they're winter music! You might have to give it a couple of weeks rest from overplay, but making and listening to a playlist of seasonal-but-not-holiday music can get you in a cheerful mood about the winter months.
  • Do service. I know there's the whole "reason for the season" and whatever, but sometimes I feel like holiday service is just one more thing to check off in a very hectic month. But did you know that there are still needy people in January? Because of the quirks of tax law, most giving campaigns hit hard in December, and it can be easier to remember to donate at that time, but after-Christmas service helps spread out the good (how many soup kitchens can accommodate everyone who wants to ladle soup on Christmas Eve?) and helps you, too. Thinking of others can get you out of a winter pity party, and some service is downright cozy. This winter, I've made flannel baby blankets for United Way of Utah County's Welcome Baby program, and it has been heckin' cozy. You could also volunteer to read with kids, clean out your pantry (why do I have so much evaporated milk?) for the food bank, or foster adorable kittens.

We might not be able to keep the spirit of Christmas all year round, but maybe letting it get us through the darkest, coldest months can be a good start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Products of A Slightly Fevered Mind After A Long Girls' Night Out.

In Defense of Stephanie Meyer.

Moms and Vets: a little rant about people who complain about Mothers Day